Saturday, August 6, 2011

Racial Violence in the Midwest

I remember reading about the racially motivated attacks in Peoria in June and being disturbed.  I am absolutely haunted by what happened in Milwaukee this week.  Numerous accounts of black youths attacking whites on their way out of the state fair show some very disturbing scenes, although some of the media is downplaying or completely ignoring the racial component, despite the fact that these types of attacks are becoming increasingly common.  Chicago has had troubles recently as well.

What haunts me are the accounts of a 14-15 year old white boy who was severely beaten and left by the side of the road, while numerous witnesses sat in their cars.  One man, an Iraq veteran, was convinced not to leave the car by his wife.  Another woman raced to help the boy but was convinced to return to the car by her husband.   The boy was eventually thrown into the ditch like trash.   This breaks my heart. I think of my son and my nephews at that age, one who is still only 16.  I think of them being beaten while bystanders do nothing.  The fear and pain and wondering "why me?"  How alone and terrified this boy must have been and wondering if help was going to come.   I think of his mother getting the call from the hospital and it breaks my heart.  What has happened to us?  I understand the fear of being hurt or killed yourself that holds you back from helping and I can't say that I would do any different in that situation.  It's easy to lay blame when you weren't there.  And THAT is what haunts me.  I'd like to think I would be different, but would I?  And how could I ever face myself again, knowing I left that boy alone?  

John 15:13

New International Version (NIV)
13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

Beautiful  words, but how many of us are really willing to do that, especially for a stranger?   I have seen no updates on the condition of this boy but I hope and pray that he will be ok.    We need to start being honest about racial violence on both ends, not just when a minority is the victim.  In this case, this young boy was the minority,  was he not?     I fear this is only the beginning.

Mobs at the Wisconsin State Fair

Dozens of Black Youths Attack Fair goers
Horror at the Wisconsin State Fair


There were similar incidents the 4th of July and one in May and, as I mentioned, Chicago and Peoria have had many similar attacks.    I don't want a race war.  I don't care what color or race anyone is. I judge on behavior.  

I will leave you with 2 words: CONCEALED CARRY.  OK, maybe more than 2.  It has been argued that places like the fair would likely restrict guns, but much of this happened outside and people could have them in their cars.    I am reconsidering a decision for a revolver for a concealed carry gun,  I'm thinking a semi-auto with extra magazines is the way to go........

No comments:

Post a Comment